Saturday 30 June 2012

6th

I'm not a huge fan of 5th edition 40k.  I just play because I love the 40k universe.   Part of this dislike is because of the immense hate I had for 3rd as young 'un, to the stage I stopped playing for 6-7 years.  Came back in the book end of 4th and I warmed back up to it.  And it remains my second favorite edition (behind 2nd).  Had lots of flavour in the rulebook, and this was when GW were still having a bit of fun.  Still had the horrid armor save system, but at least cover wasn't as prevalent.

Then a long came 5th.  Sure we gained some cool stuff (blast, run).   Biggest loss was all the, I dunno, flavour of the old book.  And it seems less tactical that 4th was with regards to terrain.  And of course the codexes are getting worse and worse (Space Undead are proper dead to me at this point).  Or maybe i'm just becoming jaded with old age.
 
But anyway 6th.  managed to make it through most of the rulebook, so thoughts.

Move.. seems a lot faster.  All units can potentially assault 12", and almost all vehicles can go 18".
Add to that that moving doesn't limit you're firing so much (Rapid fire unnaffected, heavy can still shoot at bs1 etc) makes the game far more mobile.  A good thing.
Shooting...possibly deadlier.  Cover saves have been reduced, except for ruins.  not to sure about that, ruins usually annoy me more than anything else for a multitude of reasons.  Making them better than other cover?  sigh.  Wound allocation.  YAY for this.
 Vehicles...can't really say how hull points affect vehicles.  Will have to see in a game.  Kinda sucks that a Leman Russ is hitting on 6's if it fires the battle cannon.  On the other hand, it can prob fire everything.  Except you can rarely fire everything usually due to los on one sponson.  Also poor hydras, hitting non flyers on 6's :(  And flyers.  Hurrah for more rules, that I don't see a point in.  Hilariously, if a Stormraven (or any flyer, but pointing out space marines flaws is funnier)  zooms and you immobilise it, whoevers inside can never get out unless the flyer is wrecked :D

And thats as far as I read. got thoroughly bored of it.  Having to flick back and forth to see what all these key words were.


In fact this book is full of special rules I don't see a point in.  Pages upon pages of them.  Power axes, eh?  Impact hits...what?  The shitty random terrain rules from fantasy...who cares?  Allies...cheese!!  Fortifications...BUY OUR CRAP!!  psychic powers...the list goes on.

What we have here is 5th edition, with more things to remember, and less to care about.  Pass.

Farewell 40k...unless it's second edition ;)  which has millions of flaws, and op heroes.  But at least it has it's feet firmly planted in the have fun zone.

I think I may pick up my painting skills.  I still love 40k, and will gladly buy models but never to play.

2 comments:

  1. FAQs came out yesterday and the Hydra has the anti-air rule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but it doesn't have interceptor. So hitting all ground targets on 6's

      Delete