Saturday 22 March 2014

Firefly

So Firefly the boardgame.  I'm human being, ergo I like Firefly.  And here be a game based on Firefly, so yay for that.

It's a pick up and deliver game.  You pick stuff up and you go and deliver it somewhere and get paid.  In order to do this, you need to go shopping so your crew and ship is up to scratch.  And here it is dripping with theme.  Everything from the show is here, and does just about what you would expect it to based on that.  And the contacts (Mission givers) are suitable flavorful.  So I was all set to enjoy it.

And my first experience of it was a total let down.  It really is a long game.  And unfortunately if you don't get a good start from your shopping decks, you really are at a disadvantage.  In our game last night, all of the Serenity Crew showed up, bar River Tam.  Darren Got Jayne, Wash and Zoe and dominated the rest of the game).  Chris got Simon (who amusingly enough got arrested), and Andy got Shepherd Book.  Kaylee also showed up for Jason, and I also managed to draw another version of her. But of course only one person can have her so my version was out the game.  My totally nameless crew was mostly ineffectual, and they were poached later on when I had no fuel left to Save some stranded ship or other so they became disgruntled.  I did managed to fluke two misbehave events and came a little cash.  And did start getting some crew, who got killed almost instantly by Reavers.  Another problem which upped the Length, was Andy who took literally forever to take turns.

I do believe I will pass on any game of this with more than three players.  Any more than that and there just isn't enough awesome crew to go around meaning one or two are going to be in a much better position for the 2+ hours this game takes.  And that game length needs shortening a great deal.

3 comments:

  1. I don't like either. Even with three players it was just too long and I just got pissed off with being stopped every turn wasting fuel. I won't even touch it again.

    Chris has a habit of picking up games that I just hate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also worth pointing out, we got to the point when the last card of the border space deck was the Reaver cutter card. So we spent a good few turns just mosey around. I decided to speed things up and turn over that card. I lost my gun hand, no biggie. And my reward for doing that? I had the Reaver ship moved onto my space three times. Stopped giving a crap about the game in progress after that.

    ReplyDelete