Sunday 20 January 2013

Games!

Netrunner. I still love netrrunner.  Didn't have my cards with me, but Chris lent me a runner deck.  He seems to love his corp.  And I won.  Was  alot of luck involved.  But could just hammer HQ with a 2 credit expenditure every turn.  Was prob not the smart move, he was getting an advancement counter from matrix analyzer every turn.  But I scored a final agenda in the end.  For a win.


Also played Eclipse.

It's a very good 4x space game.  I was strgulling with my little science empire.  Chris had a lot of ships, not great ones, but a lot of them.  I Was short materials all the game.  2 of the 4 cruisers I had were from discoveies.  Without them I would of had a poor score.  Eventually I just hammered into Gareths territory.  Which net me some 16 victoiry points. for a final win score of 31.  Second was 26 I beleive.
When I first looked at it The cubes and discs and the reviews I read made it out to be a dry 'Euro' (like Power Grid or Acquire) with annoying economy tracking that just gives me a headache.  But it really isn't.  You explore space doing research killing your neighbours, fun fun fun. 
I guess it draws inevitable comparison to Twilight Imperium.  And they are similioar in that they are both 4x.  But they really aren't similiar.  TI is more diplomatic, massive fleets may not even see combat.  In Eclipse, I think avoiding combat is a sure way to lose.  And thats a complaint.  I fought 3 battles and scored 11 combat victory points.  I could of also got 3.  The random swing seems insane

 Self confidence restored.

5 comments:

  1. I never liked Twilight Imperium. It was one of that games that went for hours and bored the hell out of me. After two or three games I just refused point blank to ever play it again.

    Eclipse was a lot better but still takes far too much time to play. I liked it but I was getting bored because of poor tile draws which restricted my ability to colonise.

    Combat was one way to do it but I dislike combat in games like this. One wrong move or roll of the dice and you get jumped, and that spoils my enjoyment. Hence why I prefer to play more pacifistic roles. This sort of game needs a victory condition for that sort of player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonight we were also looking at the Rise of the Ancients expansion, and I think that will make the game better, though 9 players would be overkill. I felt 6 was too many. This sort of game should have a 4 player cap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi matt, I am interested in learning both games :)

    have to arrange a sunday or thursday that we can play them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eclipse isn't mine. It's Chris's. Should poke him about it. I beleive he will have it this Sunday

      Poke me Thursday, I will definetly have my netrunner decks with me. But I am shite teacher. You can borrow one of them and crush Chris or Darren though :D They are much better at teaching things. Or you can stumble through my lecture. Poke me anyway, I may or not remember that you specifically asked on the night.

      Delete
  4. okay I will poke you for a game on Thursday :D

    ReplyDelete